When undertaking any land use planning process it is important to give consideration to the natural environment and natural hazards. Quinte Conservation comments on applications circulated under the Planning Act with regards to natural hazards (i.e. flooding and erosion). All Conservation Authorities have been assigned commenting responsibility for natural hazards by the Minister of Natural Resources and Forestry.

Planning Act applications

Please contact your local municipality to apply for any of the following planning activities:

  • Minor Variance
  • Zoning By-law Amendment
  • Consent/Severance
  • Site Plan Approval
  • Official Plan Amendment
  • Plan of Subdivision or Condominium

Your municipality will circulate your application to Quinte Conservation for comments as required.

Fees for Plan Review

There is a fee for all Planning Act reviews. This fee is separate from any subsequent required permit fee.

Our review fees are based on the type of application circulated.

Plan review application fees

Our fees can be paid by cash, debit, Visa, Mastercard or cheque.


Application TypeFee

Property clearance / Screening fee


Technical Study Review (cost per study)


Consent to sever / Zoning by-law amendment


Minor variance


Official plan amendment


Standard site plan review


Minor site plan review


Subdivision review


Subdivision Phase review - minor


Subdivision Phase review - complex


Frequently asked questions for planning

Why does Quinte Conservation review my planning application?

Under the Planning Act all Conservation Authorities are considered “public bodies” and must be given the opportunity to comment on applications and documents prescribed under the Act.

Additionally, all Conservation Authorities have been delegated the responsibility from the Minister of Natural Resources and Forestry to represent the provincial interest on matters related to Natural Hazards. Quinte Conservation will review all Planning Act applications circulated to us with regards to Section 3.1 (Natural Hazards) of the Provincial Policy Statement.

How does Quinte Conservation find out about my planning application?

Each municipality within our watershed will circulate planning applications to our office. Some municipalities will circulate all applications while others will only send those that are within our regulated area. Quite often Quinte Conservation staff will be involved in a pre-consultation meeting or conversation with the municipality or the applicant.

What does Quinte Conservation comment on?

We have service agreements with all of the municipalities in our watershed to review and provide comments on Section 3.1 (Natural Hazards) of the Provincial Policy Statement. We also give advice and technical input on water quantity (e.g. stormwater management).

Information on our service agreements can be found on the Service Agreements section of this page. 

Does Quinte Conservation approve my planning application?

No. We provide input with regards to environmental features and other issues specified in our service agreements. The final approval of an application rests with the Municipality or the applicable planning approval agency.

What do I do if I need help?

Please contact our office with any questions you have. We are able to answer most questions by phone or email.

If you would like to speak to a staff member in person or have them visit your property you can book an appointment or request a site visit.

Service Agreements

Quinte Conservation has a Memorandum of Understanding (MOU) with each municipality in our watershed that details our role in the planning process. The MOU covers the expectations and services for both the individual municipality and Quinte Conservation and outlines relevant review timelines and the specifics of what we will review.

The MOU's for each municipality can be found below:

Additional Information

If you would like to know more about the Regulated Area and our role in protecting people and the environment visit the Apply for a Permit page.

You can learn more about our plan review process and policies here

If you would like to speak directly to staff please visit the Contact Us page.