If you are thinking about doing work or development on a property near a wetland, watercourse, steep slope or the shoreline of a lake, you may need a permit from Quinte Conservation. To see if you are within our Regulated Area, you can use the Property Regulation Map page.

If you would like to speak to staff before submitting your permit application, you can book an appointment or request a site visit. (Note: The Safari web browser is not always compatible with this form.) 

How to apply

There are two ways to apply for a permit from Quinte Conservation:

  1. Online application (PLEASE NOTE: The Safari web browser is not always compatible with this form.) 
  2. Paper application: Print out a copy of our application form and drop it off or mail it in to our office.
    • NOTE: You must review our guidance document prior to submitting your application to ensure a timely review. 

Fees for Permit Applications

There is a fee for all permit applications. You must provide payment before we can process your application. Our permit fees are based on the type of project you are doing.

Please Note: If you apply for a permit within the same calendar year as the site visit, the fee paid for the site visit will be applied against the applicable permit application fee.

Permit application fees

Our fees can be paid by cash, debit, Visa, Mastercard or cheque.


Application TypeExamples Fee

Minor Applications

When a Site Visit is not Required 

  • Decks/patios at grade/gazebos/pergolas over 15m2 (160 ft2)


Standard Applications

  • Habitable structures/additions/wells/new or replacement sewage systems & *accessory structures that are greater than 15m2 (160 ft2)
  • Swimming pools
  • Repairs to existing boat launch/boardwalk/boat slip
  • Directional Bores
  • Abutment or platform for cantilevered dock


Major Applications

  • Projects that require complex technical review and/or require multiple approval processes, generally including development proposals that require staff review of a report/study prepared by a qualified professional (geotechnical engineer/coastal engineer/ecologist/etc.)
    • There is an additional $500 review fee per report
  • Shoreline protection work/shoreline alteration/maintenance dredge
  • Large/significant site alteration/site grading project
  • New boathouse/boardwalk/boat slip


Permit Amendment/Permit Re-Issue

  • A valid permit can be amended prior to its expiration date (updated plans/drawings/etc. may be required).
  • A permit extension may, at least 60 days before the expiration date of the permit, be granted provided that the re-issued permit is for the same work as the expired permit.
  • A site visit may be required and will be at the discretion of staff; if a site visit is required, the fee is $450


Hearings before the Quinte Conservation Board of Directors

  • If staff are unable to permit the proposed development or if conditions are imposed that the applicant does not agree with, the applicant may request a Hearing before the Board
  • Reports submitted by the applicant to this office may be subject to peer review fees
  • The Hearing fee is non-refundable regardless of the outcome


 *The reconstruction of a non-habitable garage with no basement, on the exact same footprint does not require a permit from this office. However, if there is a change of use proposed to the garage (i.e. converting garage to include bunkie quarters/living space/kitchen/new plumbing fixtures/converting to a boat house, etc.) a permit from this office is required and staff will review the application to ensure it conforms to the Regulation and Policy.

Additional Information

Learn more about our regulation in our policy manual